The club has proudly received an award for ‘contribution to physical activity’ at the 2015 City of Worcester Sport Awards. Held at the University of Worcester Arena and hosted by British Athletics legend (and Worcester 10K organiser) Steve Cram, the award was received by Mike, Claire and Steve.
The award was for significant contributions to physical activity over the last 12 months. Highlights include:
- Men’s cross country team being promoted to division 2 of the Birmingham League.
- Several members recorded ‘good for age’ times to qualify for the London Marathon on merit. 1 club member achieved championship times to start with elite athletes and ran a personal best time of 2 hours 44 minutes.
- Winners in the 52 mile Malvern Hills Ultra Marathon, including first female home.
- Over 400 members for walking/jogging and many run groups and these members are supported by other experienced participants to enter their first 5K/10K/half marathon/full and ultra marathons.
- Working closely with County Sports Partnership to roll out ‘Couch to 5K’ programmes in the summer.
- Providing many volunteers to local running events, including Worcester City 10K and the Worcester full and half marathon.
This represents a big achievement for the club, which has now grown to over 400 members. The award wouldn’t have been possible without all the hard work put in by the club members and committee. Well done!