Hi folks, hope you’re having a great Christmas break. There’s a few important news updates I just want to share before we start 2017, that you should be aware of, so please have a read and let me know if you have any questions.
In this issue:
- New Club Standards Award Scheme
- Hosting the Cross Country in February
- New Perdiswell Meeting Point
- New Event Shelter
- Sunday Marathon Training Schedule
- Record Croome Donation
- Committee changes
- Dates for the Diary
New Club Standards Award Scheme
The club standards is awards scheme is a new club initiative developed by Derek Jackson, to help give members clear goals and targets for their races in 2017 and be rewarded for their efforts.
In summary, there are 4 awards you can earn (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum). By completing races in 3 of the recognised events (Mile, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon) at a particular standard, you will earn that award. The times for each standard vary depending on age and gender category.
Head on over to the Club Standards page to read the finer detail about what events are counted, how to apply and see the times you can aim toward.
Alongside the champions race league and improving your Run Britain Ranking, there’s plenty to help keep you motivated throughout the year if that’s what interests you. There’s no requirement to take part, it’s simply a scheme for those that are interested in races, PBs and setting targets throughout the year.
We’re planning on putting on some magic mile sessions next year, so will announce that when the plans have been firmed up.
Hosting the Cross Country in February
The Black Pear Joggers are hosting the last fixture of the men’s Birmingham league on Saturday, February 11th. Team captain Chris Harris has secured a venue at the Droitwich Lido Park, which incorporates the nearby St. Peters Fields.
We will need plenty of marshals on the day and as the women’s cross country team are up in Wolverhampton, we might be a bit short, so if you can keep the date free and help the club put on a successful fixture, so that the men’s team can continue to run at the event, that would be great.
There’s still a couple more fixtures left of the cross country leagues, with the Worcestershire County Championships next on 7th January at Newbold Comyn (Leamington Spa). Find out more on the cross country page.
New Perdiswell Meeting Point
Things are coming along nicely with the work at Perdiswell. We now have a well lit area to meet to the left of what will be the new entrance. It is sheltered from the rain. Please use this as the meeting point from now on for all club runs starting from Perdiswell (e.g. Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays – not Tuesdays).
Also the leisure centre will be closed on New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, open until 3pm on Monday 2nd January then normal service resuming from the 3rd.
New Event Shelter
We’ve purchased an extra event shelter (like a super-strong gazebo) for use at club events. A 15′ Coleman Event Shelter Pro; it’s a bit of a beast but will come in handy as a changing room/bag storage at cross country events and for the timing crew at club races.
Sunday Marathon Training Schedule
The new year will see many focus on training for a Spring marathon. Head on over to the Sunday run page to see the distances scheduled each week to help you get your long run each week. The club Sunday runs make marathon training that little bit easier, with routes marked out, friendly company and water/sweets along the route.
The dedicated athletes amongst us will no doubt be having an early night on New Year’s Eve, ready for a hangover free New Year’s Day run of either 10 or 14 miles. Good luck to everyone running a Spring marathon. Although tough at times, when you cross the finish line it will all be worth it, even if you can’t walk for the next few days!
Record Croome Donation
We’ve crunched the numbers and can confirm that the money raised from this year’s Croome Capability Canter will see a record donation to the National Trust of £3,600, which is used to help them maintain the picturesque parkland. We’ll be organising a handover of the cheque to Katherine at Croome Park in the new year. The race was yet again another success. To find out more, have a read of Tracy’s Croome race report.
The AGM saw the expansion the committee with the following being voted on:
- Phil Miles has joined the committee as the Tuesday and Sunday Run Leader, having co-ordinated these two club events for some time now, which has seen Tuesday nights growing with a range of group leaders and a record number of runners on Sundays.
- Tracy Kennish is now officially the club’s publicity co-ordinator. Writing race reports and informative news articles. You can read Tracy’s previous posts on the News page.
- Mike Lane made a return to the committee as the social secretary, with lots of ideas for fun events next year.
Dates for the Diary
- Saturday 7th January: #runandtalk event at Worcester parkrun by the club’s Mental Health Ambassadors
- Monday 9th January: 5-10K course and ladies only C25K course starting.
- Saturday 14th January: Next cross country fixture
- Monday 16th January: C25K course starting
- Monday 16th January: Next committee meeting (let me know if there’s anything you want me to raise)
- Saturday 21st January: Champions league race: Worcester parkrun
- Saturday 4th February: Champions league race: Hanbury Hall parkrun
- Saturday 11th February: BPJ hosting the cross country at Droitwich
Wishing you all an injury free and enjoyable 2017.
All the best,